Wednesday, January 16, 2019

New Illustration Series: VERNAL (2018-2019)

A new illustration series that I'm particularly proud of, called "Vernal Occiptial".

The intent was to practice my line work while experimenting with some visual juxtaposition. By combining my long-standing habit of drawing skulls and a newfound appreciation for flora and fungi made a spectacular and compelling contrast.

What resulted is dialogue inferring that even in death life is persistent, that we offer longevity after our perceived end. Legacy, mortality, life springing from death. Rebirth, rot, decay, and the reminder that nature is forever around us, feeding into the greater forces that we live in and beside each day.

There is further opportunity for insight in each piece, working on both political, social and emotional capacities. Definitely a new level of work that I'm proud to have broken ground on.


"Vernal Occipital - I"

"Vernal Occipital - II"

"Vernal Occipital - III" 

"Vernal Occipital - IV"

"Vernal Occipital - V" 


Color prints are next on the menu, and these illustrations will be accompanying many more as I barrel towards the release of "From The Well", which will be my first ever Illustrated Art Collection Book.

Stay tuned!

- @bkartmerc

No comments:

Post a Comment